Wednesday 9 October 2013

Toffee Apple Tart

I've made this pie only once before for a bonfire night/graduation party a good few years ago - we had a big family get together with a giant pan of curry, pork in cider and a meat and potato pie accompanied by fireworks! All very autumnal! It was probably one of the first things I ever baked (to moderate success).
So with a carrier bag of apples collected from my Mum's garden sitting in the cupboard I have been baking away trying to use them up (more apple based recipes to follow!) and I thought I would attempt this toffee apple pie recipe again - I remember I made notes in the cook book so I could perfect it the next time. 4 years later those notes came in handy!
























The recipe is actually adapted from a pear tart tatin but I've swapped the pears for apples and cheated a bit and used ready made short crust pastry to make it more of an open pie/tart. It's very tasty with ice cream and I imagine with custard too.

Ingredients
3 large apples, peeled and thickly sliced
90g butter
110g brown sugar
160ml double cream
1/2 tsp cinnamon
1 sheet ready made short crust pastry
Handful of pecans

First melt the butter and sugar together in a heavy based wide pan (like a frying pan or cast iron pan). Add the cream until the sugar dissolves and then bring to the boil. The sauce should darken. Add the sliced apple and sprinkle the cinnamon over then reduce the heat and leave to simmer for about 45 minutes, turning occasionally until tender.

Meanwhile blind bake the pastry at 200°C - line the pie dish with the pastry then prick with a fork, cover with greaseproof paper and fill base with ceramic baking beads then bake for about 15 minutes or until lightly browned.

Raise the oven temperature to 220°C or leave at 200°C if a fan oven.

Fill the baked pastry case with the toffee apple mixture, spreading out evenly then top with the pecan nuts. Bake for about 25 minutes then allow to cool for 5 minutes.

Serve with ice cream, whipped cream or custard. Yes.


No comments:

Post a Comment