Tuesday 7 May 2013

A lovely Saturday night chilli

I hope everyone has had a lovely Bank Holiday weekend! The weather has been delightful and I think I even caught a bit of sun yesterday - I have vague tan lines on my feet from my sandals anyway... I made this chilli on Saturday night - I put a ladle full in my Huevos Rancheros on Sunday morning to add a little meatiness - but I've only got around to posting the recipe now (it's been a busy weekend!)






















When I do a chilli I like to serve it on a baked tortilla. The edges are nice and crispy and then the centre goes all soft and soaks up the sauce. You just need to pop it under the grill for a few minutes but make sure you keep an eye on them as they can burn pretty quickly.

Ingredients
(for two with a bit left over)
250g lean minced beef
1/2 white onion, chopped
1/2 green pepper, chopped
1 clove garlic, minced
400g tin red kidney beans, drained
400g tin chopped tomatoes
1 beef stock cube dissolved in 180ml boiling water
2 heaped tbsp chilli powder
1 tbsp paprika
1/2 tbsp cumin
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
salt and pepper
150g long grain rice
sour cream and jalapeƱos to serve (and a beer of course)

In a large lidded pot and on a low heat soften your onions in a glug of olive oil for about 5-10 minutes then add the garlic and green pepper and cook for a minute more. Turn the heat up to medium and add the beef, breaking it up and cooking until there are no longer any pink bits - about ten minutes. Add the chilli powder, cumin and paprika and season with salt and pepper. Cook for a minute then add the tomatoes, beef stock and vinegar. Leave to simmer, with the lid on, for about 45 minutes.

Add the kidney beans and simmer for another 15 minutes. Meanwhile rinse and cook your rice (see pack for cooking time). Toast the tortillas under the grill for a couple of minutes just before you are ready to serve.

Serve the rice and chilli on the toasted tortilla with a dollop of sour cream and some jalapeƱos. We teamed ours with a Theakston's Old Peculiar Ale which is quite a rich smooth ale and is recommended with strong stews and puddings. It did actually go well with the chilli and complimented the strong spicy flavours. I think a nice Indian Pale Ale would also have gone well.





No comments:

Post a Comment