Sunday 19 May 2013

Auntie G's Sticky Ribs

I meant to post this recipe last week but didn't get around to making these until yesterday. The recipe was given to me by my Auntie G who makes the best ribs I have ever eaten - seriously I dream about these ribs. It's the thing I look forward to most at barbeques and family get-togethers and I've been pestering her for a while for the recipe so I can see if when I make them myself they live up to the legend. I can confirm these did not disappoint and smelt and tasted amazing.






















So I actually used 1kg of spare ribs - I got them from the meat market in the Arndale as they are usually pretty reasonable and you know it is good quality. A lot of the top restaurants in Manchester get their meat from there so if its good enough for them...!






















Ingredients
1 kg pork spare ribs (I know the recipe would be 700g but I do love ribs)
1 onion, chopped
2 medium cloves garlic, crushed
2 tbsp tomato purée
1 tbsp white wine vinegar
3 tbsp clear honey
1 tsp mixed herbs
1/2 tsp chilli powder
150ml chicken stock
2 tbsp olive oil

First fry the onion and garlic in the olive oil until softened.

Add the tomato purée, white wine vinegar, honey, mixed herbs, chilli powder and stock and bring to the boil then lower the heat and simmer for about 15 minutes. The sauce should thicken.

I left my ribs to marinade for about an hour and a half to 2 hours while we went the pub for a quick few halves so if you're doing this allow the sauce to cool first before coating the ribs with the sauce. You don't have to leave them to marinate you can just cook them immediately.

Preheat the oven to 190°C and arrange the ribs in a roasting pan. Spoon the sauce over the ribs and turn the meat, rubbing the sauce into the ribs to make sure they are evenly coated. Cover with foil and cook for 30 minutes.

Remove the foil and spoon the sauce over the top of he ribs, turning them to coat them again with the sauce. Return to the oven for another 45-60 minutes (I found it was nearer 60 minutes) and re-coat and turn the ribs several times during this time - I did this every 15 minutes - to ensure they are nicely coated and don't burn. The meat should be nicely browned and sticky with crispy bits. 

And enjoy! (I know we did!)






No comments:

Post a Comment