Sunday 12 May 2013

Porter Pulled Pork Baps

So this recipe first started off as the Cajun Pulled Pork recipe from Sunday Brunch which I've made about four or five times which is slow cooked in cider. Pork and apple is always a classic combo and I love pulled pork. But you know what I also love? Beer. I'm not talking about Carling and Fosters or any of that rubbish I'm talking about proper real ales. Beer that people care about making and the people who drink it know the difference between a good beer and an average beer. A nice sweet oak aged or a rich porter or stout - that's what I'm talking about. I did used to drink a lot of cider but I felt that the combination of pork and beer could be something of a revelation. I have found a few variations of beer pulled pork recipes online but I just did this one on instinct really, trying the beer first and then deciding what herbs and spices to use from that - brave move I know but I am somewhat of a kitchen maverick!






















I served my pulled pork on some floury baps (with gherkins if you have them) and some roasted carrot and sweet potato chips on the side. The meat is so moist and tasty that you don't even need any sauce.

Ingredients
(serves 4)
2kg pork shoulder joint (or anything around that)
2 onions, chopped into chunks
2 cloves garlic, minced
1 tbsp wholegrain mustard
1 tbsp chilli powder or flakes
1 tbsp thyme (dried)
3 tbsp dark soy sauce
400ml porter or stout of your choice (in this recipe I used a bottle of Young's Double Chocolate Stout but you could use anything - even a Guinness Extra Stout would be nice or the Anchor Porter is the one that I want to try next. I made a porter pulled pork once before and I know this is technically a Stout pulled pork but I liked the alliteration in the title!)

The pork needs to be cooked slowly on a low heat to make it really tender and takes 4 hours to cook so make sure you give yourself enough time if you are planning on eating at a specific time so preheat the oven to 170°C.

First to prepare the meat; I have to make sure that I wash the meat by running it under the cold tap to get rid of anything that may be on it and also get rid of any hairs that may be on it (these will be burnt off in the oven but just to make sure). Scatter a few onion chunks and a bit of garlic into a deep roasting tin and place the meat on top. Now mix together the mustard, chilli powder, thyme and a good pinch of salt and pepper to make a paste and rub that all over the meat, including the underneath. Scatter the rest of the onions and garlic over the meat and then pour the porter or stout over the top along with the soy sauce. Cover with parchment paper then foil and roast for 3 hours.






















Remove the foil and paper and try to pour some of the juices over the top of the meat. Now return it to the oven for 1 hour to form a nice crispy edge. About 30-40 minutes before the end put in your wedges, if that's what you are having it with. I coat mine with a bit of oil and sprinkle with plenty of salt and pepper, a sprinkling of chilli powder and some paprika.

Take out of the oven and pull apart with forks - this should be very easy! Serve immediately with floury baps and the crispy roasted carrot and sweet potato chips. You can just leave the pan in the middle of the table and let people get stuck in themselves if you like. I declare this recipe a success!

























No comments:

Post a Comment